2016/03/04

Art Journal - Imagination is more important than knowledge

Making custom masking tape with colored MT tape and clear stamps #DIY #craftyendeavors #creativemess #maskingtape #mttape #rubberstamps #techniquetuesday #colorcoordination #workinprogress

For a while I had this great idea in my head to make custom washi tape with the rolls of MT pastel washi tapes I don't really use enough. I had bought them like 6 years ago at the MET store in NYC and still a lot of the tape is left. So I thought I better put them to great use! I put together a fun color cobination and stuck them on a long cutting mat so you can decorate longer strips of tape. The stamps I used is from Technique Tuesday's Pens and Brushes. This is actually one stamp, but for this purpose I cut the individual items loose with a small sharp scissor. Warning: Do this at your own risk!! The space between stamps is really small, so you have to be really careful while cutting. But it's definitely doable!


Then came the fun part, stamping and making unique patterns on the tape. But the fun part, turned out pretty frustrating for me. I didn't get the sharp and clear imprints on the tape as I wanted. I used memento ink drops stamping pads, but the print didn't stick on the surface well enough. And then I tried stamping with Staz-On but still it did not stick well on the tape. I had to use my heat tool the make the ink set. The imprints were not so sharp either. I found out that this MT tape with a glossy finish is water resistent! So sadly the stamped tape didn't come out as well as I hoped it would. But we all learn from mistakes, right?




Einstein quote


I ended up using the stamped tape in my Art Journal none the less. I covered the whole page with it (you can see the unclear and faded imprints on the tape) and then covered it with clear artist medium. Then I got some yellow, lavender and red Amsterdam acrylic paints and the Pen and Ink stencil from Stencil Girl Products to stencil on the images you see on the page. When the paint dried I took a fine black sharpie and the stencil again to add the outlines. In the end it does show a messy and fun effect!

Imagination is more important than knowledge 
- Albert Einstein

An inspiring and, for me, true quote. I still do not know how to make the imprints on the water resistent tape sharp and clear, but my imagination won't let me stop trying :)

Wishing you an imaginitive and inspiring weekend! 
Thank you for stopping by!

Namasté!

PS: Ink giveaway on this week's Pens and Ink is still going on until next wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I read them all and they are very much appreciated ❤

GDPR law EU disclaimer: please be aware that if you leave a comment on any post on this blog that your name and blog link will visible (if you have set it on public) to all who visit this blog.
By publishing the comment, you agree that you publish own personal details on this blog and are in consent of sharing that publicly.